Friday, September 3, 2010

Monday´s big ride 30.8.21010 from Mark



Sorry for the delay in my last report of my travels. Poor internet or phone not sure which... See YOU soon PETER.....

Ron and the Fatboys hope you all got to your respective destinations in resonable shape.
Thank you again Fatboys for a memorable ride through Europe.

No home goal for me; the rain was pelting down from the kick off, I waited an hour over breakfast and decided it was not going to ride itself. So I swam out to my bike and placed one pedal after another.

Decided that I would not take the easy way out and rode past the train station. Then 45 minutes later the sun came out. That only left me to battle the wind gusting to 30 klms and the hills. very slow time and as soon as I would dry out a breif bucket of rain would mke me wet again.

I peddaled on towards Brussels not knowing how much longer I could take the conditions. The Belgian boarder was a welcome sight, also a reason to stop and ring Andrew for his birthday.

the day continued on much the same one big slog. Only there were bike lanes over the boarder. not great but better than nothing.

With no directions I ended up next to a train station called Midi where the Euro Star departs in Brussels.
The sky was turning again so i decided to wait until the next shower went through before looking for a hotel.
Fate took a hold again and Francios SMSed me when I would arrive.
So as quickly as it started my ride was over. I was welcomed into to my familys arms and another tough 100 kms day was over; with a warm shower the world looked betteer again.

Learn and reaffirmed many thoughts on this trip.

You are the sum of your acheivements. Failure brings you closer to yournext success.

Clearly the world is not flat; there are many hills even in Europe.

And the rain on the plain does not fall in Spain but in France.........


It has been a fantastic trip; the people and sights will remain with me.

Now all there is to dois pack my bike and head home.

So to my co bike riders and family. it has been a memorable trip.

Yes I can not find the commer on this key board.......


Bye to all from Mark.....

1 comment:

  1. Great reading your reports Mark; have a safe flight home and hopefully your bike will arrive with you.It's flooding in Victoria right now so you should feel right 'at home' ! Look forward to catching up soon. Cheers

    ReplyDelete